Job Opening - Building Department Permit Technician
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: The City of Holmes Beach Building Department is seeking an immediate hire of an experienced Permit Technician who is highly motivated, detail-oriented and a team player who works well in an extremely fast-paced environment. Primary duties will include processing services for building permits. This position is heavily customer service based, therefore, it requires a strong and excellent customer service approach with both internal and external customers. The Permit Technician provides information and guidance regarding procedures for all types of building permits, including reviewing all information and/or documentation required for permit applications.
CLASSIFICATION: The position of Permit Technician is considered a non-exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
CITY EXPECTATIONS: Certain essential City services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending on the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of any emergency.
- Provides information and guidance to the general public regarding application procedures for all type of building permits
- Reviews permit applications for provisions of all required information and/or documentation
- Distributes applications for necessary reviews
- Monitors progress of permit review
- Verifies completion of all required reviews and notifies applicant of approved permit
- Serves as liaison between plans examiners and applicant
- Maintains building permit packets with detailed files of official records pertaining to the process
- May address minor public records requests
- Answers phones and assists customers at the counter
- Handles customer questions and issues regarding permit requirements; refers technical questions to appropriate staff
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis
- May be required to report to City Hall in the event of an emergency
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Building Administrator
- Candidates must have a minimum of one (1) year of experience in construction, building or permitting. Experience working with permitting software is a plus.
- Preferred two (2) year college degree from an accredited school
- Five (5) or more years of experience performing progressively complex clerical duties wherein public contact was necessary
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office products, computer systems, hardware and the ability to become proficient with proprietary software
- Ability to obtain Notary Public licensure
- Must have a valid Florida Drivers’ License
The City will assist the Permit Technician in acquiring a Permit Technician Certification within one (1) year of employment.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic land development and construction permit requirements
- Knowledge of general permit processing and procedures
- Knowledge of County offices and functions
- Knowledge of land development and construction terminology
- Ability to work under high demands, short time constraints and pressure of a fast paced work environment
- Ability to deal with the public in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to accurately answer questions and resolve problem situations or refer to an appropriate staff member
- Ability to follow checklists and recognize different types of required exhibits and plans
- Skilled in the use of various office equipment
- Able to work under stressful conditions
- Able to interact effectively with others
$20 to $22 per hour commensurate with experience and education
Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, AD&D, disability and retirement
The City of Holmes Beach is an equal opportunity employer
Applications are required and a resume can be attached.
Forward completed applications to:
Maureen Gluff, HR Analyst/ Records Manager
City of Holmes Beach
5801 Marina Drive
Holmes Beach FL 34217