PLANS EXAMINDER/BUILDING INSPECTOR
Thank you for considering employment with the City of Holmes Beach, Florida
CITY OF HOLMES BEACH
PLANS EXAMINER/BUILDING INSPECTOR
Come join our island family! The work is challenging and every day is different. The team is exceptional. The location is the ideal. Check us out.
FUNCTION: This combined role examines building plans for all construction activity for new and existing structures in the City and meets with contractors and/or property owners regarding code requirements. The Building Inspector/Plans Examiner also performs building inspections and reviews construction plans within applicable licensure.
MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE A MINIMUM OF FIVE (5) YEARS OF CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE.
CLASSIFICATION: The position of Building Inspector/Plans Examiner in the Building Department is considered a non-exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
REPORTS TO: The Building Inspector/Plans Examiner reports to the Building Official.
SUPERVISES: The Building Inspector/Plans Examiner has no supervisory responsibility.
- Maintains excellent public relations
- Creates a culture of respect and trust with contractors and property owners
- Answers telephones and returns calls in a timely manner
Scope of Work/Responsibilities:
- Reviews complex plans to ascertain compliance with land use codes, building codes and state and federal regulations regarding flood plain construction
- Researches codes for unusual and/or unique installations to ensure compliance
- Drafts correspondence explaining why permit application is deemed non-compliant
- Files new and completed plans
- Works with home owners, contractors and architects in obtaining compliance
- Maintains up-to-date education on trends and changes to methods and materials, regulations and codes relative to construction and inspections
- Inspects new and existing construction projects and applicable trade work to ensure compliance with approved plans and building, construction, fire codes and zoning
- Reviews assigned construction plans and engineering calculations for structural, mechanical and architectural components to ensure compliance with all applicable codes and recommends methods of compliance to meet the intent of each related item
- Reviews all relevant building, fire, plumbing, mechanical, floodplain, and energy codes within the applicable licensure
- Identifies codes violations, issues correction notices and stop work orders
- Keep daily logs and prepare reports on inspection activities
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Licensed Florida Building Inspector OR
- Licensed ICC Building Inspector OR
- Florida State Building Contractor
- Additional Certifications preferred
- Florida one and two family Inspector
- Florida Building Plans Examiner
- Proven knowledge of building codes (Florida Building Code), land use (Land Development Code), City ordinances and constraints involving flood plain construction
- Knowledge of construction techniques and materials
- Skill at reading and interpreting construction documents
- Proven skills in providing excellent customer service
- Effective communicator, verbally and in writing
- Proven self-sufficiency with an ability to organize and prioritize a continuous workload
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to climb up to rooftops, crawl, stand, walk, bend, kneel, stoop, crouch
- Ability to lift and/or move items that weigh more than 50 pounds
- Excellent vision ability including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- High school diploma
- Minimum of two years in construction with plans examination certification
- Two or more years of experience as a building inspector
- Possession of required licensures and certifications as required by the State of Florida
- Licensure as a standard inspector per F. S. 468 in the building category
- Additional categories of licensure preferred in mechanical, plumbing or electrical
SALARY IS COMMENSURATE WITH CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSURE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS.
The City of Holmes Beach is an equal opportunity employer and drug-free workplaceApplications are required. Please forward completed Applications/Resumes to:
Attn: Human Resources
The City of Holmes Beach
5801 Marina Dr
Holmes Beach FL 34217
Fax # 941-708-5812 email: email@example.com
Please click for a Job Application