BUILDING DEPARTMENT ANALYST
The City of Holmes Beach invites you to join our family. We are a small beach community municipality on Florida’s west coast. We strive to serve our residents, businesses and visitors in an efficient and cost-effective manner to enhance the quality of life in our community. In addition to our ideal location near beautiful white sand beaches, we offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive array of benefits, pension, gym membership, and an opportunity for professional or technical development.
Come join our dedicated team and be a part of a fast-paced, customer service focused local government that makes a difference every day.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: The Administrator provides varied and complex management and operational analysis in support of the department. S/he assists with a variety of public administration tasks related to City issues, programs and operations; conducts a variety of organizational analyses; and performs public relations and community outreach. S/he is the liaison between the Building Department and all other City departments with respect to furnishing policy, information and procedure as set forth by the Building Official.
CLASSIFICATION: The position of Administrator is considered a non-exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
REPORTS TO: The Building Department Administrator reports to the Building Official.
SUPERVISES: The Administrator supervises the Permitting team.
- Maintains excellent public relations
- Answers telephones, returns calls, greets the public
Scope of Work/Responsibilities:
- Plans, assigns, and coordinates the activities of the Building Department
- Prepares monthly and annual permit and inspection reports
- Prepares quarterly building permit certification surcharge report for submission to state agencies
- Expedites permit applications by coordinating plan approvals, which includes the disbursement of site plans submittals to various departments within the city
- Disseminates information to the general public, contractors, architects, engineers, and realtors , in person or by telephone, on various ordinances, codes and policies related to the Building Department
- Provides project inspection status to contractors, property owners, and other City personnel
- Verifies all required inspections have been completed on new construction before approving a Certificate of Occupancy
- Serves as liaison to the City departments
- Assists with emergency event preparedness and response including hurricanes
- Drafts press releases and email blasts to notify community of Department programs or policy proposals/changes
- Assists in preparing annual budget for the Building Department
- Monitors departmental spending to maintain budget
- Prepares departmental invoices for payment
- Conducts research on various aspects of building that has interface with other departments, such as, but not limited to information for vacation rentals, business tax, property records research and public records requests
- Trains the Building Department staff in the operation and use of hardware and database software necessary for the efficient operation of the Building Department
- Serves as content and structural editor for all departmental releases including print, web design, and database administrators of proprietary software
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to work independently
- Multi-task under pressure
- Solutions oriented
- Highly organized
- Excellent math and business English skills
- Excellent communicator – spoken and written
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of municipal government operations and the interface of the Building Department with other City departments
- Ability to learn and assimilate the connections among federal, state, county and municipal government
- Demonstrated knowledge of the codes, and ordinances governing the construction industry including remodels, commercial entities and new construction
- Demonstrated supervisory qualities that both challenge and instruct subordinates
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in management, public administration, business , or related field from an accredited college or university
- Two (2) years of experience in providing professional level administrative or operational support in a municipality, county or state agency
- Permit technician certification (CPT) or ability to obtain certification within eighteen (18) months of hire
- May be required to work alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the Department
- The position is subject to report for duty following a hurricane or other emergency
- Daily routine requires walking, standing, stooping, bending , lifting and carrying
- Computer work requires manual dexterity using hands and fingers
- The position requires normal visual acuity and reading comprehension; normal hearing; the ability to articulate clearly
Salary commensurate with experience.
The City of Holmes Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Attn: HR Analyst Maureen Gluff
The City of Holmes Beach
5801 Marina Dr
Holmes Beach FL 34217
Phone # 941-708-5800, ext. 225
Fax # 941-708-5812
Please click for a Job Application