Job Opening - Deputy City Clerk
CITY OF HOLMES BEACH
DEPUTY CITY CLERK
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: The City of Holmes Beach City Clerk’s Office is seeking the immediate hire of an experienced Deputy Clerk who is highly motivated, detail-oriented and a team player who works well in a fast paced environment. This position is customer-service based and requires a strong customer service approach with internal and external customers. The Deputy Clerk manages the front desk and also helps support elected and appointed officials and their meetings.
FUNCTION: The individual filling this position is responsible for greeting the public, answering the telephone, and performing general clerical and accounting duties in the City’s Administrative Department. S/he must be familiar with the procedures of the City Clerk’s Department and city government. The Deputy Clerk must be proficient in Microsoft Office and have experience with the Zoom platform. S/he performs the duties of the City Clerk in his/her absence.
CLASSIFICATION: The position Deputy City Clerk is considered a non-exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
CITY EXPECTATIONS: Certain essential City services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending on the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of any emergency.
REPORTS TO: The Deputy City Clerk reports to the City Clerk.
DUTIES: Customer Service:
- Maintains excellent public relations
- Answers telephones, appropriately directs calls, and greets the general public
Scope of Work/Responsibilities:
- Attends City meetings to manage the Zoom platform and/or to record official actions
- Meeting administration includes copying meeting materials for the City Commission, Planning Commission and other meetings, as assigned, and preparing binders for meetings. Also assists with agenda preparation and setting up the Commission Chambers for meetings.
- Coordinates agendas, writes and distributes minutes of commissions and boards as assigned by the City Clerk, and uploads to website
- Maintains all committee and board meeting information, membership lists, and associated files in the records room
- Updates and provides for codification for all City code books for elected officials and the Clerk’s office. Forwards all ordinances for Ords Now and Ords Bank to Municipal Code Corporation and audits all statements received. Forwards copies of all newly adopted ordinances to City Commission and City staff
- Manage and maintain official City documents including Ordinances and Resolutions, including scanning into Laserfiche
- Provides meeting administration and serves as Clerk to the ITPO, BIEO and Special Magistrate Hearings and any other assigned boards or committees and records all their official actions and transcribes minutes as assigned by City Clerk
- Assists City Clerk with election related activities as needed
- Opens and distributes all incoming mail for City Hall
- Receipts and maintains all financial aspects of the City Clerk’s office, Code Compliance and the Police Department including cash, checks and credit/debit card payments
- Creates daily cash/check and credit/debit card payment reports for balancing
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and ordering supplies for copy room and General Government
- Coordinates outdoor signboard messages at City Hall
- Updates and distributes monthly calendar
- Coordinates City Hall Chamber reservations
- Processes invoices and accounts payable audit slips for the Clerk’s Office
- Stocks and maintains informational brochures in the lobby
- Maintains city contact lists
- Orders all name plates for commissions, boards and committees
- Assists with the organization and mailing of the City’s Accounts Payables
- Assists City Clerk with special projects as needed
- Performs the City Clerk’s duties to include attendance at meetings, preparations of agendas and transcription of meeting minutes in the absence of the City Clerk
- Reports to City Hall in the event of an emergency
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Prior experience as a Deputy Clerk or a City Clerk required
- Designation as a Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC). Must obtain within four (4) years of hire.
- Five years progressively responsible office and administrative support experience in local, county or state government
- Experience with the Florida Sunshine Law and Public Records Law
- At least two years of college plus two or more years of advanced administrative experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, computer systems, hardware, and ability to become proficient with proprietary software
- Above average facility with written and spoken English, which includes knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- A combination of education, training and experience may be substituted for above stated qualifications
- Ability to obtain Notary Public licensure
- Membership and participation in associations related to Florida Association of City Clerks and International Institute of Municipal Clerks
- Knowledge of municipal government procedures, regulations and interrelationships
- Knowledge of statute, ordinance and resolution requirements pertaining to the City Clerk’s department
- Ability to accurately report actions of various commissions in minutes form
- Proficient in Zoom, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, and Windows Operating environment
- Three (3) years' experience utilizing various computer applications and software packages, maintaining and generating reports from a database or network system.
- Knowledge of office methods, procedures, and a variety of office equipment
- Accurate typing/word processing speed of 60 WPM
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across departments, with fellow employees, and the general public
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate proactive problem-solving skills
- Must hold a valid Florida driver’s license. Driving history for the past three (3) years must reflect no violations of a driving related offense, or driving under the influence (DUI) which includes both drugs and alcohol, reckless driving, or hit and run involving an occupied vehicle or attended property, or an accumulation of traffic violations, plus three (3) points for each attendance at driving school (regardless of whether points were assessed against the license) where the penalty points do not exceed twelve (12).
- Hours may vary according to city meetings and may, upon occasion, require late nights and overtime
- Daily routine requires average body strength for agility in reaching, stooping, bending, lifting and carrying
The City of Holmes Beach is an equal opportunity employer
Applications are required and a resume can be attached.
Forward completed applications to:
Maureen Gluff, HR Analyst/ Records Manager
City of Holmes Beach
5801 Marina Drive
Holmes Beach FL 34217