Job Opening - Engineering Specialist - Public Works
The City of Holmes Beach invites you to join our family. We are a small beach community municipality on Florida’s west coast. We strive to serve our residents, businesses and visitors in an efficient and cost-effective manner to enhance the quality of life in our community. In addition to our ideal location near beautiful white sand beaches, we offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive array of benefits, pension, gym membership, opportunities for professional or technical development and a City vehicle provided for work. Come join our dedicated team and be a part of a fast-paced, customer service focused local government that makes a difference every day.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: The Engineering Specialist is part of a collaborative work team and provides general administrative support and program coordination for the Public Works staff. Work is characterized by technical and specialized administrative support of various activities within the department.
Work is performed with general supervision. The Engineering Specialist performs assignments in accordance with policies, procedures and/or accepted practices.
CLASSIFICATION: The position of Engineering Specialist in Public Works is considered a non-exempt position as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
REPORTS TO: The Engineering Specialist reports to the City Engineer.
SUPERVISES: The Engineering Specialist has no supervisory responsibility.
CITY EXPECTATIONS: Certain essential City services are required to be maintained in any civil emergency. Depending on the type of emergency, any and all employees may be activated as essential employees in the event of any emergency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists in the coordination of City-wide Storm water, traffic, or other engineering projects; works with consulting engineers on development of these projects.
- Reviews and makes comments/suggestions regarding implementation of new regulations by the City and State pertaining to drainage and transportation.
- Researches, prepares, and/or reviews construction plans, applications and permits for transportation, utility or electrical construction projects.
- Performs field reviews on construction for compliance with specifications and codes.
- Reviews and researches development projects for compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, Code, and design standards.
- Aids in the preparation of construction plans and specifications for road, drainage, traffic, and electrical construction projects.
- Reads and interprets complex engineering plans and specifications; conducts engineering research, field studies, field reviews and plan evaluations; performs or assists in the performance of complex engineering designs.
- Communicates clearly, effectively and tactfully, orally and in writing; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with others.
- Serves as the primary departmental contact to the public to receive, route, process and follow citizen inquiries, assisting to ensure the department provides complaint resolution and information in a timely manner
- Assists in preparing grant applications and reviewing progress toward grant requirements
- Assists the City Engineer in preparing and monitoring the department’s annual budget
- Works with the City Clerk’s office in the maintenance of Public Works department records and preparing documentation in response to requests for public records
- Identifies and schedules online and certification training for team members
- Responsible for technical and clerical functions such as the collection and maintenance of the department’s database programs, including work order management, GIS mapping, hydrodynamic models and quantitative data and spreadsheets, producing correspondence, compiling information for staff reports and providing administrative support for meetings as assigned, including scheduling the meetings
- Creates, tracks and maintains work orders for the Public Works department
- Assists in storm water assessment program and assists with gathering information for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and master drainage with City Engineer
- Purchases and maintains supplies, materials and inventory for Public Works
- Manages receipt, preparation and signature for payment of invoices, including the completion of purchase orders and cover sheets
- Manages the receipt, creation, maintenance, use and disposal of Public Works records in coordination with the City Records Manager.
- Assists with the coordination of all information and capital improvement needs for the City
- Assists in the management of Community Rating System (CRS) data collection, tracking and reporting
- Reports to City Hall in the event of an emergency
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must have strong computer capabilities
- Current office practices, procedures and equipment including computers and related software such as word processing, spreadsheet programs, web-based management systems and Adobe Suite
- GIS mapping experience desired
- Proper use of telephone etiquette and techniques and ability to assist in answering diverse inquiries
- Outstanding communication and organizational skills
- Understanding and following oral and written directions
- Communicating effectively orally and in writing
- Proven record of high level administrative experience
Physical Requirements: Daily routine requires average body strength for agility in reaching, stooping, bending, lifting and carrying
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related engineering field. Prior related engineering work experience, engineering internship, or Engineer-in-Training certification highly desired.
- AutoCAD experience desired. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum required FEMA courses IS-100, IS-200 and IS-700 (can be obtained through the City)
- Knowledge and understanding of survey notes reduction and aerial photography.
- Knowledge of utility, hydrologic analysis, structural, traffic or roadway design.
- Skill in computer operations and pertinent software applications.
- Maintain regular, predictable and reliable attendance during scheduled hours
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups and the general public
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt and effective course of action
- Organize work for maximum efficiency
- Learn the policies, procedures, activities and programs of Public Works and the City of Holmes Beach quickly
- Perform technical and administrative duties with speed and accuracy
- Organize and prioritize work assignments to meet schedules and timelines
- Utilize computer software programs and other relevant software for assigned work
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, including the ability to listen effectively and to explain complex issues, policies and procedures to internal and external customers
- Valid Florida Driver’s License and a driving record which meets the City’s requirements
- Multilingual is desirable
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, drug screen and COVID test
Salary: $22.00 to $24.00 per hour commensurate with experience and education
The City of Holmes Beach is an equal opportunity employer and drug-free workplace
Applications are required. Please forward completed Applications/Resumes to:
Attn: Human Resources
The City of Holmes Beach
5801 Marina Dr
Holmes Beach FL 34217
Fax # 941-708-5812
Please click for a Job Application
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled